Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Let me jump on the band wagon...

Because you aren't a blogger until you post something about this little tart getting all pregnant at the age of 16....



Yes, Britney's sister is pregnant. Britney's sister is 16. SIXTEEN. Her boyfriend is 19. This is wrong on so many levels, so I'll just jump up on my soapbox and get started:

1. Celebrity glorifying pregnant teens. Yet another reason to never even enter your child in so much as a beautiful baby contest... THIS is where they end up.

2. Boyfriend is 19, and he's obviously been having sex with this 16 year old girl. When did that become legal? Shouldn't there be a warrant out for his arrest at this point?

3. Her sister is a world class screw up... so why would her parents think it was OK to sacrifice yet another daughter to the evils of celebrity without proper parenting?

4. The article says that she is pregnant by her "live in" boyfriend. WHAT? She is SIXTEEN years old! This isn't a case of her sneaking around and having sex without her parents knowing about it. SHE was LIVING with him. I'm sorry, but when your kid is 16 you still call the shots. I'm not saying that the parents could have kept her from having sex - but come on! Letting your kid live with someone of the opposite sex at that age is just asking for something like this to happen. For God's sake drag her behind back home and parent her.

5. Making it cool to have a baby out of wedlock, which I'm afraid is happening all around us and this isn't helping. Morally, not for me. Logically, I'm fine with adults making that kind of decision, although I think the world would be a lot more stable place if every child had two loving parents who were committed to each other. This isn't a Utopian world. Shit happens. But, the more this happens and is accepted the bigger the chance that by the time my kids are that age this will be acceptable to society. Shouldn't we use her as an example of what NOT to do?

6. Her mother is working on a book about parenting. Lynn Spears? Credible to author a book on parenting? Probably not. (Not saying that I am either, it's not that I think I'm better than she is - but I can hope!)

7. What ever happened to the Hollywood hushed up abortions? You know that starlets get pregnant, and have it taken care of all the time - and have since Hollywood became Hollywood. I'm not saying this is a great alternative... and I'm not generally pro-abortion, but you can damn sure bet that if my daughters get pregnant before the age of 18 I would present this as an option. That and adoption. I'm not proud of this, but babies having and raising babies is not a good idea in this society. (I'll answer to God for my opinions, I have no doubt.) This girl cannot go through a pregnancy and give it up to a family that wants a baby- the media would never let that happen. They would find out where that baby was and make it's life and the life of it's family hell.

OK, I might be done. I reserve the right to edit this post to add more from my soapbox if anything else comes to mind. As for right now, I seriously have to sit down and contemplate what I am exposing my children to on a daily basis. I'm not going to be able to shelter them too much, as that wouldn't prepare them for real life very well... but I need to take a better look around me for bad influences. I also need to stop following Celebrity gossip so closely! (You know I'm not going cold turkey on this, though. right?)

5 comments:

Martha said...

Amen sistah!!!!
do they not have norplant, IUDs, bcps, condoms, morning after...you name it in Hollywood? HELLO...

I've got my fingers crossed that by the time my boys discover what their dilly dink is for, there are vasectomies that work for only 10 years (sort of like the boy version of an IUD?). I may have been a late bloomer in the momma department, but I"m totally cool with being a late bloomin' grannie too!

tz said...

I just barely heard the news about her being preggers, had no idea about the live in...sheesh!
and your point number 6...1 i'm sure you are a better parent and 2 it's not like you're writing a book...
maybe it's a what NOT to do book?
like i would buy a parenting book from a celeb parent...particularly those celebs...maybe the Lohans should write a marriage book?

Martha said...

Oh, I'm feeling a blog challenge coming up for post-holidays...Book Titles sure to flop...Hmmmmm...thinking/thinking/thinking!

Dodi said...

Housekeeping Done Right by Dodi Morison!

Sitting In Silence said...

I heard this as well...in fact I was only thinking about it again at 3am this morning...

Her mother bringing out a book ??....maybe she should call it...

How "NOT" to raise children...

I hear ya Dodi....oh boy do I hear ya !!!!

Danielle xoxo