Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My new best friend...

(From my email)
I HAVE BEEN WAITING YOU SINCE TO CONTACT ME FOR YOUR CONFIRMABLE BANK DRAFT OF $800,000,00 I HAVE WAITED YOU BUT YOU DID NOT CONTACT ME.
I DEPOSITED IT WITH FEDEX PLS SEND YOUR DETAILS TO MR SMITH AT FEDEX COURIER.NAME;TELEPHONE ADDRESS.CONTACT PERSON LARRY SMITH,EMAIL;larrysmithfedexdelivery1@gmail.com
MY REGARDS
MR LEONARD JEFFERSON.


Let me present Mr. Leonard Jefferson. Who has a great deal of money for me! And now Emails me every. single. day. Why wouldn't I email personal information to larrysmithfedexdelivery1 at gmail.com? Sounds perfectly legit, right? Because Fed Ex probably doesn't have it's own domain... why would they? Gmail is good enough for the masses, why wouldn't a fortune 100 company jump on board?
Plus? The excellent grammar should lead me to believe that he's for real!

Seriously, do people fall for this? Whatever happened to con-artists having some pride in their work? Elaborately planned schemes, meticulously groomed details? Back in the day con-artists were proud of their abilities - they were sneaky and took time to plan their cons. Now? Any foreign sleeze with a tentative grasp on the English language thinks they can dupe the general public. Sheesh. Get a grip. At least the Nigerians came up with a letter that used proper grammar!

Peace out, Leonard. I'm sure I'll hear from you again tomorrow.

11 comments:

Martha said...

And the Nigerians often sprung for a real stamp on a real piece of snail mail.

I'm wondering if Leaonard will also promise to "enlarge your manhood"?

I'll be always be your friend, but sadly, I have no $$$ waiting for you at FedEx...

Martha said...

Uh oh...looks like Leonard and I share a weakness in mastering the English language.

Apologies for my poor grammar...

tz said...

oh my gosh, you know leonard too?

Sitting In Silence said...

HA HA HA...I so love my spam filter and here I was all along thinking it was Homer......

Block button...you ROCK !!!

Colleen O said...

Wow - everybody has been posting up a storm!! I feel as though I'm emerging from a cave. I haven't been watching the news either, as I missed the bit of. . . news. . . about the Duggars. I did get a similar email though. And, one about geting my "Docctorate" or "Maaseters Degre" without taking any classes, or needing any experience! (That one was actually posted in the teachers lounge.)

I was going to stop by to fondle your goods on Saturday, but you must have had such a good time garage saling on Friday that you skipped the cold and windy Saturday.

Dodi said...

Martha - leonard doesn't promise to increase my manhood, but angie has.

TZ - don't be jealous that leonard seems to like me best. We have a connection that even words cannot fully describe.

SIS - I don't know why leonard seems to make it past the spam filter. I went in and changed some things yesterday so we'll see. I'd like to hear about your clandestine relationship with this Homer, though.

Colleeno - there were little or no goodies to be fondled by Friday afternoon. I was giving stuff away to neighbors at the end. One of my (headed towards) middle aged neighbors (read: across the street) made off with my old copy of "The Mayo Clinics Encyclopedia of Pregnancy"... which I thought was a little strange. Some light reading, dear?

Love to you all!!! Even to Gladys Kravitz.... the Lurker.

ganelle said...

Maybe I'LL send my personal information to larry smith. I mean, don't you think he would have $800K for me too? Do you think my social securtiy number, bank accounts and passwords will do it?

Sitting In Silence said...

Dod's....Homer used to pop by my blog and leave me a beautiful love essay of about 450000 words a day... confessing his undying love for me and Homer simpson.

Oh yes sir ree I kid you not....he believed that Homer and god were the same people.....Lost me on the 2nd line...LMAO.

I will admit that I did however send him a 2 worded love letter back...First word F and last word OFF ...LMAO....

xoxoxo

Dodi said...

OMG that is funny! Although, I can see his point... I can almost hear God saying, "Mmmmmmmm...Donuts."

How long did he hang around? Because Leonard and I are still having a torrid email relationship. (One sided, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't write him back once in a while. With loving message like the one you wrote?)

Vanessa said...

Hey! They sent me almost the exact same thing! Isn't it great to be a winner? ;)

tz said...

it's okay dodi, i'm not too jealous...as i have had so many offers for sexy dates with russian teens lately...my life is full